Thursday, December 29, 2005

...and a Happy, Creative New Year to all!

I love this photo of the giant origami lips. One of my independent study art students made these a couple of weeks before Christmas when locker decorating was going on in the halls, and she hung them on her friend's locker door. I followed her up there and snapped this photo because I wanted to have record of the largest origami I've ever seen. :o)
I've really enjoyed my time off, and trip to NC to see my family, and now it's time to start thinking about teaching again -- it's less than a week away. I'm looking forward to seeing what my students create this coming semester and I'm looking forward to learning alot right along beside them. Teaching as a job has its stresses and frustrations, but overall it's more like a gift than any of those things. It has been said that if you really want to learn something well, you should teach it. This is SO true. But it's about more than the material you're teaching. It's also about learning new ways to communicate to a diverse group of students, about listening to the students' 'critique' of the way you teach and learning to examine yourself and find out if they are right; listening to their ideas and finding new ways of doing things. The crown on it all, of course, is learning about and exploring new areas of your subject where you've never had a chance to before. It's an opportunity to grow in so many ways. As I said in my profile, "I can't imagine a more mind-stimulating and heart-revealing occupation," and I'm very grateful to God for this opportunity. Posted by Picasa

No comments: