Saturday, January 28, 2006

From death, new life

I've drawn milkweed pods before, and I thought I'd give it a try with a little watercolor this time. The fine white filaments of the seeds are always the challenge. Maybe masking would be a better alternative. Maybe I'll try that next time.
Anyway, I'm always fascinated by these dried pods when I see them each winter. They are considered to be weeds, and I guess a nuisance to farmers. But I simply love the shape and textures, as well as the subtle colors of the dried pods. The seeds with their fluffy white stuff that will carry them off on a breeze to find a place to be buried, and then with the warmth of spring brought to new life, are symbolic of our lives and the new life we can find in Christ. It is a tiny miracle that happens each spring when billions of unnoticed seeds spring to new life along the roadsides and in the cracks and crevices of our concrete jungles. They are the unwanted and uncared for, and yet God breathes life into them over and again. They bring food, shade and dwelling places for his creatures, which also often go unnoticed and unwanted by us. But, true to His word, God keeps the cycles going, he notices when sparrows fall, he knows about every little seed, and he numbers the hairs of our heads. Posted by Picasa

No comments: