Sunday, August 06, 2006

None of us is promised tomorrow. Today, in all its beauty, is all we have.

I'm not sure who the author of that quote is, but I was moved to deep thought by it today. We've probably all, at one time or another, heard something like it. The Proverb says, "do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring." A stern warning not to take anything for granted -- life is fragile and uncertain.
However, I particularly appreciate the second part of this newfound quote, because of that prepositional phrase stuck in there between "Today" and "is all we have" -- "in all its beauty." It stood out to me as a blunt reminder that I let so many days go by without seeing the beauty they hold, living a joyless, survival-mentality-type of existence. Then I think on my past entries to this blog and find a recurring theme -- stop and smell the roses.
Hmmm.....
The photograph in this entry was taken this spring in a park where my children and I had met some friends one day for a trail walk and a picnic. The trees were freshly clothed in their new spring-green garb, and the critters (including masses of gnats) were not scarce. It was, after all, that time of year, you know (coming out of hibernation, hungry, looking for love...).
Anyway, I was especially delighted by the presence of several Eastern bluebirds that came close enough to get a good shot of one of them. They are shy birds, and for one to stay put in one place long enough to shoot several frames is a rare opportunity that I relish with delight. The tree's new growth was bright green and delicate, and though it deserved attention all its own, it made a fine backdrop for the photograph of the bluebird.
The Eastern Bluebird was my favorite bird all through my growing up years and remains so to this day. Who could resist the bright blue flash as it flies from tree to ground and back again while gathering the next meal? I've watched them for so many years that I can spot them just from their silhouette as they sit on a tree limb or fence post. I have learned to rejoice in that kind of beauty when I come across it in a day.
But there are so many other beautiful treasures and small graces in each day that I miss, or do not see the value in them. I'm too busy getting through the day so that I can get to tomorrow's agenda, all the while overlooking the beauty in a moment with one of my children, or the way God has orchestrated the day just perfectly with so much that is good and beautiful thrown in. There is so much I miss as I grumble my way along the path of this journey, always thinking that there must be something better or more important just over the next rise.
Father God, plant the truth deep in my heart that today, in all its beauty, is all I have, and I should rejoice and be glad in it. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Endment said...

Kent Nerburn is the author of the quote from the book "Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life"

I love the words -